Thursday, August 14, 2014

How To Fill The Blank Parts of Doodle Style Fonts With Color in Photoshop

Lettering Delights, doodle fonts,Photoshop, digital, tutorial
Back To School?  Ugh!




Fonts.  I have hundreds of them on my computer.  I think I'm obsessed, but that's not important, OK?  What I am interested in is finding fun ways to use them in my crafting. When I saw a doodle font by Lettering Delights that had the blank areas colored in, I was intrigued.  Knowing I have a few fonts like that, I wondered how to fill in those empty spaces with color to get that same effect.  I set out in Photoshop to figure it out, but I didn't have much luck at first.  So, I headed to my trusty Make The Cut!, because I knew I could separate the pieces simply with the click of my mouse.  This method worked, but I really wanted to know how to do it in Photoshop because I knew there had to be a way.  I forgot about it until I stumbled upon a site (while looking for fonts, of course!) called We Lived Happily Ever After, and guess what?  Yup, there was a tutorial for adding color to blank graphics in Photoshop. The very thing I wanted to do but wasn't looking for at the time.  The method described in the tutorial worked fine, however, I thought I'd come up with my own tutorial which addresses one problem I encountered.  If you'd like to fill your doodle style fonts with color, read on:

Photoshop, Digital, Tutorial, Lettering Delights
You don't necessarily have to type your letters in black, it's a matter of preference, really.

Photoshop, Digital, Tutorial, Lettering Delights
Here's where I ran into a problem, I didn't have contiguous and anti-alias checked.  It's important that you do, I discovered.  (Don't ask me why!)

Photoshop, Digital, Tutorial, Lettering Delights
Make sure you have all the areas you don't want colored selected before choosing "select inverse".

Photoshop, Digital, Tutorial, Lettering Delights
Once you have the areas you want colored selected, you can do whatever you want to color them in.  I really love using the gradient tool, it gives a cool effect.  Here's some other examples I created using the gradient tool:

Photoshop, Digital, Lettering Delights

Photoshop, Digital, Lettering Delights

Photoshop, Digital, Lettering Delights


Pretty quick and easy!  I'm so happy I can do this now, and I can't wait to use some colored doodle fonts in my layouts and cards!  Much thanks goes to Hannah at We Lived Happily Ever After!

What do you think?  Are you going to try this?  If you have a question leave it in the comments and I'll do my best to answer it.

Fill your doodle fonts and Have A Crafty Day!

Fonts Used: LD Outline 1, LD Oogly Googly



No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...