Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Give A Hoot It's Your Birthday!! Card

About what?




My Dad and I both celebrate our birthdays this week, and this card is for him (since I wouldn't be making it for myself-LOL!).  The owl, the banner and the phrase come from the Give A Hoot Cricut cartridge which I bought months ago and have never used.  I grabbed a square from Plantin Schoolbook and a scalloped square from Mini Monograms.  For the last two years (about as long as I've been making cards) I made my father a card using the Paper Pups cartridge and the Cuttlebug embossing folders with the similar puppy images.  This year I thought it would be nice to change it up a bit.  It's always hard for me to figure what to make for my Dad.  The girlie stuff is so easy, but I find the stuff for men to be a challenge.  I don't even know if he likes owls!  He's not aware that in the crafting world they're all the rage-LOL!  Any hoo, I planned this card out on my Gypsy, which made it easy to figure out sizes.  The only thing I don't like about the Gypsy is the lack of a color preview.  I wonder if that will be in a future update?  Sometimes I'll just create the file in Design Studio (DS) and load it on my Gypsy, that way I can look at the preview while I'm picking out paper and cutting.  I have to say, however, if I wasn't using the cartridge images I would be using Make The Cut (MTC) instead.  It is a much easier program to use, and not only can you use colors for a preview, but patterned paper as wellI show this in my post Be Mine Valentine with Make The Cut.  You can also print directly from MTC, as I did on this card and shown in the picture below.
 I used a font from Lettering Delights called Old Typeset.  I simply typed it in and created a shadow layer (another convenience of MTC!)for the background.  I chose my colors for each layer and printed it out.  You can't get much easier than that!!  So as much as I enjoy the Gypsy and DS, they are both limited in their abilities.  Perhaps Provocraft will do some serious upgrades to catch up!  So what do you think of my Give A Hoot card?  Why don't you give me a hoot and let me know?  I appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to comment!  Come back again sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...