Saturday, October 11, 2014

DIY Wooden Frames: Halloween Decor


Halloween, SVGCuts, DCWV, Lettering Delights, DIY, frame
Here's some inexpensive Halloween decorating for you.  I bought these wooden picture frames on the cheap from A.C. Moore and Micheal's.  They were only a dollar each, and all the other supplies I used I had on hand.  They're very easy to decorate using some acrylic paint, Halloween scrapbook paper and cutting files (the ones I used are from SVGCuts.com).

The witching hour frame is from Michael's and has a nice shape.  I was surprised it was a dollar until I got it home and discovered the backing was only a piece of cardboard the thickness of a cereal box.  Despite that, it came out fine and who's looking at the back anyway?
Halloween decor, Wooden Frame, Michael's, DCWV, SVGCuts
I painted the frame with glossy black acrylic paint after sanding it with a fine grit sandpaper.  It probably could have used a little more sanding, but I'm not the queen of patience.  After that it came together pretty quick, since the background is simply a page from a mat stack by DCWV.  All I did was cut it down to fit the frame and add a little stickles to the house and flourishes.  The witching hour title is from the same stack and I popped it up using some scrap fun foam.  After adding some cuts from the Gothic Flourishes SVG kit and some bling, it was done.  Here's another view:
Halloween decor, DCWV, SVGCuts, DIY
Next up is the skull frame.  Since this frame had a wooden back, I glued the background paper directly to it.  I painted the frame after sanding it with glossy purple acrylic paint, then I went over the purple with some black glitter paint.  Once it was dry I sanded the edges and corners slightly to make it look distressed.
Halloween Decor, Wooden Frame, AC Moore, SVGCuts, Lettering Delights,DIY
For the skull and bones I put two files from different kits together and created a shadow to glue the cuts to using Make The Cut.  I added a spiderweb corner from Gothic Flourishes (I also adhered a tiny svwarovski crystal to the spider), a flower from Elmhurst Hollow, and a banner from the Christmas Cheer SVG kit (Department Store card).  The bones font is from Lettering Delights, which I blacked out and then did a print and cut in Make The Cut.

Some tips for making these:
  • Be sure to sand your frame with a fine grit sandpaper.  They tend to be a little rough, especially on the edges, which makes painting them a bit more difficult.
  • Make sure to seal everything before putting it on to the frame.  I sealed each paper piece with Mod Podge, and I also sealed the frame with it.  Sealing helps to make it last so you can use it year after year.
  • Use acrylic paint with a glossy finish because it looks nicer than the flat finish.
  • Have fun!
Hope you enjoy decorating some frames of your own.  This is a great craft for any time of the year!

Supplies Used:
Make The Cut*
Silhouette Cameo
Wooden Frames (AC Moore and Michael's)
DCWV Eek-a-Boo & Midnight Spell (mat stack)
Recollections Midnight Magic Pad (glitter paper)
Gothic Flourishes SVG Collection
Elmhurst Hollow SVG Kit (flower)
Catacomb Manor SVG Kit (skull)
Doggie Pals SVG Collection Part II (bones)
Christmas Cheer SVG Kit (banner)
Scrap Bones (font from Lettering Delights)

Have some fun decorating frames and Have A Crafty Day!
*I'm an affiliate for Make The Cut because I LOVE it and you will too! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...