Friday, November 21, 2014

Quick & Easy Cards Using Doodlebats from Lettering Delights

Lettering Delights, doodlebats, dingbats, autumn, thanksgiving, cards
DB Foliage
What are doodlebats, exactly?  If you don't already know, doodlebats, or dingbats as they are also called, are a font that you install on your computer that has pictures for characters instead of letters.  I find I don't use these as much as I should, so I've made some simple cards using some doodlebats from Lettering Delights.  You can also find many on the internet for free.

Using Make The Cut, I created an 8.5 x11 inch rectangle to make a template to create two 4.25 x 5.5 inch cards.  Next I double clicked on the doodlebat image (much easier than having to figure out which letter corresponds to which image), resized it and put it where I wanted it on my template.
Make The Cut, Lettering Delights, Card
Once your cards are set up it's time to print.  If you want to be extra sure it will print correctly on your particular printer, go to File>Print Options then check 'show paper on mat'. This is how it will look:
Make The Cut, Lettering Delights, Card, Printing
For my printer (Epson Artisan 835), I found that choosing the borderless option made true 4.5 x 5.5  cards, which is what I wanted.  Once the cards were printed, I scored down the middle of the paper to create the fold, then cut the paper in half to separate them.  I rounded the corners for a finishing touch.


Here are some of my cards:
DB Giving Thanks & DB Thanksgiving Art

DB Giving Thanks

DB Foliage & DB Greeting Goodies

DB Giving Thanks & DB Thanksgiving Art
I really had a bit of fun making these!  I think I prefer the colored ones to the black ones, but those could be used for the kids to color.  These cards are so quick, they'd be a real time saver if you had to do a bunch, or you could print them out ahead of time and have a card whenever you needed one.

This is just one way to use the doodlebats on your computer.  What other ways can you think of?  I think I may have a few more up my sleeve.  Until then...

Here's what I used:
Make The Cut Software
DB Giving Thanks (Free for Nov. 2014 at Lettering Delights)
DB Thanksgiving Art
DB Foliage
DB Greeting Goodies
LDJ Thankful ('Autumn')
Pristina ('Give Thanks')
American Crafts White Cardstock  

Put those doodlebats to use and Have A Crafty Day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...