Friday, June 6, 2014

A Musical Birthday!

Birthday Card, 3D, Musical instruments, piano, guitar, SVGcuts, Lettering Delights
Birthdays.  I'd like to forget them.  But when you're only turning 15 like my son did a few weeks ago, it's okay to remember, in fact, you'd better!  Son #2 loves music and plays piano, guitar and viola.  Deciding what to make for him was a no brainer.  SVGCuts.com has two kits which contain 3D musical instruments.  One is called Thank You For the Music (piano), and the other is Vintage Valentines (guitar).  At first I thought they'd be difficult to put together, but they were surprisingly easy. Mary at SVGCuts makes everything look easy in her assembly videos, and this time it was!
SVGCuts, 3D, Piano, Guitar
The only part I'm not satisfied with is the guitar "strings".  I apparently didn't tighten the fishing line I used for them enough.  It was too late to tighten them by the time I realized how loose they were.  My son, however, could care less about the strings.  You see, the cool part is both instruments are also boxes, and I had stuffed his favorite candy inside!
 
I also designed a card to go along with the piano and guitar, using a program called Popup Card Studio (PCS).  This is an awesome, somewhat new program created by Andy, the same smart guy who created Make The Cut!(MTC).  It was really easy to create this simple pop up card, and it eliminated the need for some tedious node editing in MTC.  Of course I did cut the card with MTC after importing the card from PCS.  Here's the front which is a frame that I welded a keyboard and musical notes to, along with my son's name.
Pop Up card, musical, Popup Card Studio, Make The Cut, Birthday card
The black portion of the musical notes on the bottom are printed because they were so tiny there was no way they could be cut.  And yes, I did try!  It was a free file from somewhere, don't know where so I can't give credit.

Now check out the inside.
Birthday Card, Popup Card Studio, Make The Cut, Lettering Delights
This is the first card I made in PCS, so it's pretty basic.  There is a learning curve to this program, and the place I get help is at susanbluerobot.  She has tons of helpful videos that got me up and running.   The cards that can be made in Popup Card Studio are amazing, so go check it out here.  Once I get more familiar with PCS I hope to be making some wow factor cards to show off, but until then...

Here's what I used:
Silhouette Cameo
Make The Cut!*
Popup Card Studio 
Thank You For the Music SVG Kit
Vintage Valentines SVG Kit
Musical Instruments and Symbols Cut It Set (keyboard on card)
LD Modern Slab (font)
Paper from Bazzill, Core'dinations, K&Company and The Paper Studio (Hobby Lobby)
 
Have A Crafty Day!
*I'm an affiliate for Make The Cut! because I LOVE it!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...