Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Home Decor Idea: Use A Card Design for Inspiration!

Have you ever thought of using a card design as the basis for some home decor?  When I saw this Snow Houses Card in the Merry and Bright SVG kit from SVGCuts.com, I loved the snow scene and thought it would look great on a charger.  Of course a charger is round, while this card scene is rectangular. To alter the scene shapes to make them fit nicely in a circle, I used the boolean join tool in Make The Cut (MTC).  How did I do that?  It's very simple.  After importing the shapes for the snow scene, I measured the diameter of the circle on the charger and created the same size circle in MTC.  I fit the pieces of the scene into the circle, (being sure to size them all at once to keep them in proportion to each other) eliminating any gaps on the sides.  By selecting both shapes, clicking on the boolean join tool, and choosing intersect, I made the shape from the scene conform to the shape of the circle.  I did this for each of the shapes that overlapped the circle.  Here's the end result:
SVGCuts, Lettering Delights, Print and Cut, Home Decor, Winter
Brrr!  That looks chilly!
I also did a print and cut for the background and front piece, as well as the for the shadow of the winter caption.  The snowflakes are cut with white vinyl and it's difficult to see but there's a little bling in the center of every other one.  I added a little glitter to each roof and the hills, and placed a tiny bit of tulle above the doors.  And I just realized I forgot to add the doorknobs!  (Woops, I'll have to add them later!).  After applying each layer I sealed it with mod podge.  Each of the hills were popped up with foam tape to give dimension.  You can get a closer look here:
Winter, Home Decor, SVGCuts, Lettering Delights

Home Decor, Winter, SVGCuts, Lettering Delights
I'm very happy with how it turned out.  This charger hangs on the wall in the front entryway of my home and I plan to put it up every winter as long as it lasts.  Have you ever taken a card design and made it into home decor?  I'd love to hear about it!  It's a great way to get the most use out of your purchased cut files!  Here's what I used to make this:

Make The Cut Software
Merry and Bright SVG Kit (Snow Houses Card)
Winter Bliss SVG Collection (Winter Caption, Snowflake)
Clara's Christmas Eve SVG Kit (Snowflake)
Chill Out Paper Pack
LD Charming Bold Font

Thanks for checking out my winter charger, and Have a Crafty Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...